·Matúš Jakabčic, guitarist, composer, arranger, educator, producer
-mathematics and computer science at the Comenius University in Bratislava, Slovakia; graduated in 1984
-composition (classical) at the State Conservatory in Bratislava, Slovakia, graduated in 1992.
-Berklee College of Music, Boston, graduated in Jazz Composition in 1995; received several scholarships and awards – i.e. the Charles Mingus award for achievements in jazz composition. Studies with Herb Pomeroy, Greg Hopkins, Ken Pullig, Jon Damian….
– 1995 – 2011 he has been teaching jazz composition, arranging and harmony at the State Conservatory in Bratislava, Slovakia.
– 2009 – 2012 he has been teaching at Jan Albrecht Music and Art Academy Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia
– since October 2010 he teaches jazz composition, arranging and harmony at the Janáček Academy of Music and Performing Arts in Brno, Czech republic
– lecturer at jazz workshops in Prague, Brno, Bratislava and Santiago de Compostella
-during his career he has been leading various own projects (Matúš Jakabčic CZ-SK Big Band, Matúš Jakabčic Tentet, 13 Piece Swing and Latin band, Stop Time, Bee Connection, Madhouse, Matúš Jakabčic Quartet, EU Big Band…). As composer and/or arranger and/or guitarist he has collaborated with numerous bands/orchestras (Greg Hopkins Big Band, Euro Jazz Big Band, Central European Jazz Connection , Budapest Jazz Orchestra, A/SK, European Jazz Youth Orchestra, Gustav Brom big band, Slovak philharmonic orchestra, State philharmonic Kosice, State chamber orchestra Zilina, Moyzes quartet, Štepán Markovič Saxtet, Bratislava radio orchestra, Esprit band, Bassfriends, Ľ. Šrámek + 5 reasons, LuboSSramek & East European Artsemble) and soloists (Greg Hopkins, Harry Sokal, Gabriel Jonáš, Juraj Bartoš …). He can be heard on more than 25 CD – projects. He has played at festivals all over Europe, in USA, Algiers, Israel and Cuba.
His most ambitious project is the “Matúš Jakabčic CZ-SK Big Band”; the band has recorded 3 CDs consisting mainly of his own compositions. The collaboration with Harry Sokal, the renowned Austrian saxophone player, is one of the highlights on the Czech – Slovak (and Austrian) jazz scene.
Matus composed numerous compositions for various orchestras and venues, i.e. the music for a musical or several pieces for symphony orchestra and a jazz quintet (the most important is the 45 – minutes long composition “Between 2 Worlds”); another symphonic composition by Jakabčic, “Autumn Glitter”, was commissioned by and performed at the Bratislava Music festival in 2010. His latest work, which combines contemporary classical music and jazz, named 2012.12.12, is a composition for string quartet, guitar, bass and drums. It was commissioned by Moyzes Quartet.
– Other activities at present:
– since 2011 he is the director of Music fund Slovakia, a national-cultural public institution which supports creative activities in the field of musical art.
– since 2007 he is the head of the Executive board of SOZA (Slovak performing and mechanical rights society)
MATÚŠ JAKABÈIC DISCOGRAPHY
1990 – Stop Time (LP) * # + “Stop Time”, Opus Records
1991 – Jonas, Balzar, Jakabcic * # + “Far And Yet Near“, Arta Records
– Hot Line & Darryl Kennedy + “Hot Line & Darryl Kennedy“, Arta Records
1992 – Slovak Jazz (various artists) * # + “Slovak Jazz 1992”, Music fund Slovakia
1995 – Berklee College Of Music + “The 50th Anniversary Faculty Composers
1996 – Gustav Brom Big Band # + “Legenda”, Musica
1997 – Gustav Brom Big Band # + “Gustav Brom Big Band“, Opus
– Slovak Jazz (various artists) * # + “Slovak Jazz 1997”, Music fund Slovakia
1998 – Matúš Jakabèic Tentet Featuring Special Guest Greg Hopkins * # +, Music fund Slovakia
– Euro Jazz Big Band * # + “Live”, EJBB association
– P.Breiner&Kosice Philharmonics + “Remembering Juraj Szabados”, Ges
1999 – B.Balogh & Gustav Brom Big Band # + “Hallo Frankie Boy“, Radio Bratislava
2000 – Bee Connection * # + “Bee Connection”, Tomba
– Jonáš & Jakabèic * + “Live”, Watt
– Madhouse * + “Madhouse”, Watt
– Juraj Griglak * # + “Bass Friends”, Music fund Slovakia
2001 -The European Jazz Youth Orchestra 2000* # “Swinging Europe 3”, Dacapo rec.
2002 – Euro Jazz Big Band * # + “Beyond Borders”, EJBB association
– Dasa Libiakova # + “To Niè”, Allegro
– Alena Cermakova + “Šansóny a iné piesne”, Millenium rec.
2003 – Bassfriends * # + “Jaco Is Not Dead” (sampler), Hevhetia rec.
2005 – Lubos Sramek & His 5 Reasons + “Correspondance“, Music fund Slovakia
2006 – Robert Opatovsky * # + @ “Swing And Latin”, Závereèná, s.r.o.
2006 – Stepan Markovic * # + “Jazz na hrade” (“Jazz at the Castle”)
2007 – Matúš Jakabèic CZ-SK Big Band featuring Harry Sokal * # + , ORF
2007 – Hanka Gregusova * „Reflections of my soul“, Music fund Slovakia
2009 – ¼uboš Šrámek & East European Artsemble + , Music Centre Slovakia
– Matúš Jakabèic CZ-SK Big Band * # + Novoroèný koncert Volksbank
– Matúš Jakabèic CZ-SK Big Band * # + „Jazz na Hradì“, Multisonic
2012 – Berco Balogh & ¼uboš Šrámek & Jazzonance + The Savoy Stories, Music fund Slovakia
2013 – Michal Motýľ Tentet * # + „Sunflowers“, Music fund Slovakia
* composer # arranger + guitarist @ producer